Planet Comicon Kansas City welcomes cosplay to our convention and the wonderful creativity and fun it adds to our show. We also value the safety of all those attending and are working with KCPD and our security contractor to put together a plan designed to help all attendees to enjoy our event to its fullest. PCKC reserves the right to conduct bag checks and utilize metal detectors as deemed appropriate by show management and our professional security team. We sincerely appreciate your patience and support.
Costume Props Policy
Please review PRIOR to attending Planet Comicon Kansas City (PCKC).
All props will be inspected and evaluated to determine if they present an unreasonable risk of harm to attendees of the show. Props will be evaluated from the standpoint of the risk they present based on the materials used, the way they are displayed or carried, their functionality, and potential for harm to others.
Hate symbols are not permitted at PCKC, including as part of cosplay, and PCKC will not allow costumes that contain hate symbols or appropriate the symbolism of hate groups, including, but not limited to, historical/comic-related/satirical costumes that are associated with Nazis.
All costume props and weapons must be inspected each day of the convention at the Costume Props Desks:
Weapons Check is located near Will Call on the east side of Lobby 2200
- All costume props and weapons must conform to state and federal law.
- Projectile costume props and weapons must be rendered inoperable.
- Approved prop and toy firearms must have clearly visible orange cap covering the barrel
- Functional (real) arrows must have their tips removed and be bundled and zip-tied to a quiver.
- Costumes featuring stilts or oversize costumes must be approved at the Costume Props Desk. At certain times, due to crowds and safety issues, people in oversized costumes may be asked to leave the Exhibit Hall. Such costumes must be accompanied by an assistant to aid them in navigating the crowds and convention center.
- After your costume props have been checked, they will be tagged by security.
- Security will escort you to the Costume Props Desk for inspection if your costume prop is not tagged.
- If your prop is not approved to enter the show, certain items may be checked at Room 2206 for a nominal fee. If not checkable, your prop will not be allowed to remain in the building.
- Once your prop has been tagged, you are free to enter the show, or join the line to enter the show.
- Please be prepared to show your tagged prop to staff at any time when requested
If you do not want to have your costume props inspected or tagged, or if you are not willing to comply with these policies, please do not bring your costume props to Planet Comicon Kansas City. All costume props and weapons must be inspected at the Costume Props Desk.
- Functional firearms (BB guns, cap guns, paintball guns, and pellet guns) including Air Soft guns
- No prop guns which could be mistaken for contemporary real-world guns will be allowed.
- Light sabers and blasters and other futuristic prop gun weapons may be allowed. Simulated or costume prop weapons are allowed as a part of your costume, subject to approval by security and compliance with the following:
- Functional projectile weapons (including blow guns, crossbows, long bows, silly string, slingshots, water balloons, and water guns)
- Sharpened metal-bladed weapons (including axes, daggers, hatchets, knives, kunai, shuriken, swords, sword canes, machetes and switch blades)
- Explosives (including firecrackers and fireworks)
- Chemical weapons (including mace and pepper spray)
- Blunt weapons (including brass knuckles, clubs, and nunchaku)
- Hard prop weapons (including props made of metal, fiberglass, and glass) Some props containing some hard components as part of their construction may be allowed in the show.
- Baseball bats and Hockey Sticks (unless made of foam, or light plastic)
- Roller skates, roller blades and skateboards are not allowed in the Convention Center
- No items that play music will be allowed in the show
- Excessive Noise Making Instruments including, but not limited to vuvuzelas, grenade whistles and grenade horns.
Show management reserves the right to make changes to this policy at any time.