Cosplay stars shine at a night of the region’s most spectacular costume designs
KANSAS CITY, MO – Saturday night is the night of creatures, pixies, heroes, princesses, and monsters at Planet Comicon Kansas City’s annual cosplay competition. Each year, the creative costumers showcase the elaborate and innovative designs based on comics, movies, video games, or the flights of their own imaginations.
This year’s event was hosted by John Anthony and the duo of celebrity costume creators Abby Dark-Star and Zen Dragon. The contest was judged by Calen Hoffman, Michael Haze, Bethany Wicker, Tamarah Dixon, and Tiphani Dixon.
The winners were:
- Best in Show – Samantha Ybarra and Marie D’Angelo as Demon Hunter and Crusader from Diablo III
- Showmanship – Bruce Holt as Morphassys
- Craftsmanship – Angela Vergamini as Gaige from Borderlands and Aubin and Angus Duff as Little Sister and Big Daddy from Bioshock
- Best Original – Anita Holmes as Athena Goddess of Wisdom and War
- Best in Class – Chase Brown as The Hunter from Blood Born
- Showmanship – Kaitlynn Bly as Astrid and Stormfly
- Craftsmanship – Clint House as Sinister
- Best Original – Morgan Van Ross as Vex’ Ah Lia
- Best in Class – Brittney Gohr as Kitana
- Showmanship – Leon Kilmer as Kratos God of War
- Craftsmanship – Katie Grogan as Nurse from Silent Hill
- Best Original – Nichole Marsh as Steampunk Captain America
- Best in Class – The DiGusto Family as Peter Pan versus Capt. Hook
- Craftsmanship – Nerd Barrage as Terror Tubbies
Planet Comicon Kansas City is already at work on 2018’s show but fans can relive the adventure of this year’s event through photos, interviews, videos and more by visiting Planet Comicon online at www.PlanetComicon.com, on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/planetcomiconkc/) and following @PlanetComicon on Twitter (https://twitter.com/PlanetComicon).
FOUNDED IN 1999, PLANET COMICON KANSAS CITY is the region’s largest and longest-running comic book and pop culture convention. One of the nation’s top shows, Planet Comicon Kansas City features the best in comic books, cosplay, fantasy, science fiction television and movies.