Don Rosa, one of the world’s most acclaimed cartoonists, is scheduled to appear at Planet Comicon 2015. Rosa is best known for his work as writer and artist of a series of Disney comics featuring Uncle Scrooge and the rest of the gang from the Duck universe.
[Rosa] is often considered a “successor” of sorts to [Carl] Barks and is highly regarded by fans of Disney comics for his work illustrating the Duck universe. He created about 90 stories between 1987 and 2006. In 1995 he won the Eisner Award for “Best Serialized Story” for his 12-chapter work The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.
Duckipedia says of Don Rosa’s background:
In 1985, he discovered a Gladstone comic book in the window of a small comic shop. This was the first American comic book that contained Disney-characters after the 1970s. Since early childhood Don Rosa had been fascinated by Disney stories about Donald Duck and Scrooge McDuck. Artist Carl Barks was an especially big idol for him and would remain so for the rest of his career. He immediately called the editor, Byron Erickson, and told him that he was the only American who was born to write and draw Scrooge McDuck comics. Byron agreed to let him send a story, and Don Rosa started drawing his first Duck story: Son of the Sun the very next day.
Awards for Don Rosa
- Comics’ Buyer’s Guide Award for Favorite Writer in 1997, 1998, and 1999
- Eisner Award for “Best Serialized Story” for The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck in 1995
- Eisner for “Best Artist/Writer – Humor Category” in 1997
- Nominated for the 2007 Eisner Award in the category Best Short Story
- International “Best Cartoonist of the Year” awards include:
- International Grand Prize 2005 (Frankfurt Book Fair).
- ORLA Award (DR Television Network).
- Svenska Serieakademins (Swedish Comics Academy)
- Seriefrämjandets Unghunden (the Swedish Literary Society).
- Sproing Award (Norsk Tegneserieforum / Norwegian Comics Forum)
- Yambo Award (Lucca Comics Festival)
- Premio U Giancu Award (U Giancu & Rapallo Comics Festival).
- Haxtur Award (Gijon Comics Festival).